After naptime today, the boys and I got the water table out and played a little in the sun. After about an hour, Ethan was ready to eat so he and I went inside while Aden stayed outside for a little longer.
Every couple of minutes, Aden would stick his head inside to tell me something and on his third trip in, he was about to say something when he looked down at his thumb and then started screaming and swatting. I jumped up in time to see a bumble bee rolling on the floor in a daze. My poor baby got his first bee sting! Right on the tip of his thumb!
I swatted the bee with a shoe, scooped Aden up and took him the kitchen, removed the stinger and applied ice, all while Aden screamed and shook. Of course Ethan also screamed and shook because he was totally and completely freaked out to see his hero of a brother in distress. I was sweating.
I grabbed the Benedryl, the Tylenol and the Cortizone. I had also called my mother-in-law to ask if she knew any remedies for the pain. Because I couldn't hear a phone call due to all the screaming, she texted "toothpaste" and I was off like a flash getting the Crest.
Finally, the three of us cuddled on the couch trying to calm ourselves while the meds kicked in and I applied pressure and blew on his thumb. Once I got both boys down to a whimper, I broke out the popcycle. Soon after, Lola showed up with a Starbucks cupcake and finally all was better.
Thank you God, Aden is not allergic to bee stings.
Aden with his toothpaste thumb and cupcake box
Ethan wandering around sobbing, not sure where to go or what to do to help his brother





2 remarks:
Poor fella! I can only imagine how frightened he was! Glad he doesn't appear to be allergic. I am and it sucks. Bees and wasps scared the beejeebers out of me. I am not allergic to the point of anaphlactic shock but I instantly swell, the sting site becomes hard as a rock, bright red, hot to the touch and it stings, burns and aches for days. Days. Even with antibiotics it takes about 7-10 days to get it all out of my system. It stinks. Funny story...John and I were on our front porch painting the railing one summer. There'd been a bee buzzing about and I thought we'd chased it away. All of a sudden as I was bent over I felt the sting and the burn...right under my left butt cheek! Yep...the bee tried to sting me in the ass! Talk about miserable. I could not sit right for a week. I had to lean to the right or lay on my right side. After it was all over I did see the humor in it but it wasn't funny when my hiney was red, swollen and burning!
Oh my gosh I can not imagine! I'm so lucky not to have that kind of an allergy. I bet you stay as far away from spring flowers as possible!
Post a Comment