CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

3.15.2010

I'm a stay-at-home-mom now

Well, it wasn't planned but I can't complain.

I was laid off from my job last week. This economy is so awful and unpredictable that I'm not sure when I'll find another job. I am looking, and I have a couple of nice leads, but until then I've pulled the kids out of daycare and I'm staying home with them.

I almost cried the day I left the daycare, both kids oblivious that it was their last day. I went into Ethan's room and he was sitting on his teacher's lap with a big grin, reading a book. Another child sitting right beside them. Then I went into Aden's room and he was running around with his friends - they were about to start show-and-tell. I picked up all his artwork, his blanket and jacket, and left. Fast. I didn't want to cry.

SO... now I'm fitting in the gym, applying for jobs and hopefully interviews. And I'm hoping not to skip a beat with their learning. We have some art projects planned this week, the letter of the week is "Z" (just as it is in his daycare) and we're learning some simple addition. I also have our box of instruments for music time, and of course storytime. I told Aden to pick 4 animals, because 4 days this week we are going to learn all about an animal. This week, he picked the giraffe, the monkey, the zebra and the goat.

I haven't been unemployed for so long that it feels very strange. I feel like I'm on a sick day and will have to go back tomorrow. Or that I have some responsibility I'm supposed to be taking care of and am not doing it. It's a strange feeling, this unemployment thing. I'm very lucky that I get this extra time with my babies. Adam pointed out, and he's right, that these boys are not going to remember being taken out of the daycare when they are older. And hopefully (fingers crossed), it won't be a long break. Hopefully I'll find a great job that I absolutely love very soon and we can be a two-income family again. Wish me luck!

2 remarks:

Poppy said...

Sorry to hear about the lay off. I'll keep my fingers crossed that a dynamite position comes your way sooner rather than later. Until then I know you'll enjoy your time with the boys. It's neat that you're trying to maintain all that was good in daycare. I'm sure it will help them as well as you to maintain some semblance of a schedule.

The Heffernan's said...

So sorry to hear about your job. I know you are a woman of faith and God has given you this precious time with your boys. I am sure that you will find something great and you will be in my prayers.